Whoooo doesn’t love the beautiful, mysterious, winged creatures of the night?
While they don’t deliver mail every morning like Hedwig (though we wish they did!), here’s some cool things they actually do. Check out these 5 fun facts about Owl – our animal of the month for May!
1. While you don’t normally associate birds having ears, did you know that most owls have asymmetrical ears? Located at different points on their head, it helps them to pinpoint exactly where sounds are coming from and lock on.
Nordic Owl Necklace
In Norse mythology, the great-horned owl was the spiritual animal of Frigg, the wife of Odin and Goddesss of Wisdom, Strength, Strategy and Motherhood. Representing the spirits of Frigg, this intricate owl pendant necklace is a great gift for Norse mythology enthusiasts… SEE MORE
2. A group of owls isn’t a flock, it’s actually a parliament. This originates from C.S. Lewis’ description of a meeting of owls in The Chronicles of Narnia. Fitting for such wise creatures!
Shy Owl Earrings
This pair of adorable statement earrings depict a painting of an elusive owl looking through a window. A great addition to any owl's fan jewelry collection! Material: Zinc Alloy, Cubic Ziron, Pearlescent Beads Click ADD TO CART To Order Yours Now! We… SEE MORE
3. Owls are incredible hunters. They even hunt other owls! The Great Horned Owl is actually the top predator of the small Barred Owl but The tiniest owl in the world is the Elf Owl, which is 5 - 6 inches tall
Midnight Owl Ring
This lovely midnight owl ring is a beautiful addition to your jewelry collection. What makes it even more eye-catching is the sparkly cubic zirconia mounted as its eyes! A great gift for all owl-lovers! Ring Sizing ChartMaterials: Zinc Alloy, Cubic Zirconia Click ADD TO CART To… SEE MORE
4. Their eyes aren’t just for show, the Northern Hawk Owl can detect a vole by sight up to half a mile away. Their eyes are completely immobile, providing binocular vision to focus on their prey with incredible depth perception.
Glow In The Dark Owl Familiar Necklace
Bring a cute owl familiar with you wherever you go!This nocturnal piece becomes even more beautiful in low light or dark environments. Made with high quality glow in the dark material, the necklace can be recharged under sunlight or UV light… SEE MORE
5. ‘Hoot’ isn’t the only sound owls make! They also hiss, screech, whinnie, and one even sounds like a whetstone sharpening a saw.
Owl of Athena Necklace
In Greek mythology, an owl traditionally represents or accompanies Athena, the goddess of wisdom. In ancient poetry, Athena's most common epithet translates to "bright-eyed" or "with gleaming eyes", much like an owl. Some say that Athena is the owl herself - she… SEE MORE
How many of these did you know? Check the blog weekly for more fun facts!